Columbia SC Real Estate Blog
Support Your Favorite Service Providers & Vote Now!
- Voting starts September 10, 2014
- You can vote once an hour
- You must vote 30 categories to be counted
I want your vote for Best Real Estate Agent!
~ Tonya Graves 803.238.8612
Chris Austin - Home Loan Specialist
Chris Austin - Home Loan Specialist
Chris is a native of Columbia. He has 15 years’ experience in the mortgage industry. He has helped over a 1,000 families fulfill the dream of home ownership. Chris graduated from USC with a B.S. in Business Administration. Chris uses his vast knowledge to help his clients make the best decision for their mortgage needs. He has assisted his clients with mortgages that other banks are unable to complete.
Chris Austin | Mortgage Executive
Southern First Bank 190 Knox Abbott Drive | Cayce, South Carolina 29033
Decide you are ready to buy your first place. You are not behind on your bills, have some money saved, and have a steady job. You are ready to start investing in your future and maybe plant some roots. Remember: to qualify for the 2009 first time home buyer tax credit, you must keep your home for 3 years.
Talk to a lender to make sure you qualify for a home loan. There are many places you can get a home loan. Call your bank or a mortgage broker. If one company turns you down, don't get discouraged. All lenders are not the same and there are many different programs available. Don't give up! Once you are approved ask for a good faith estimate and pre approval letter. Some costs can be negotiated and it never hurts to ask.
Search homes online and drive around neighborhoods. Your online home search will help you identify the area in which you want to live. Consider your lifestyle. Do you like privacy? How far is your commute to work? Will you want to live close to bars and restaurants? Do like new homes or the character of an older historic home? Do you want to maintain a lawn or garden? Is a community pool important to you?
Find a full time Realtor, and become their client. It doesn't cost anything to enter into a client relationship with a Realtor but it provides you much. A Realtor will be able to further refine your home search and take you into the homes that are a good fit for you. By using a full time Realtor you will have an agent who can work when it's convenient for you, not them. A Realtor can advise you on the value of comparable sales and help you make informed decisions. A Realtor will provide all contracts and assist you in making an offer on a property. Your Realtor owes you the fiduciary duties of Obedience, Loyalty, Disclosure, Confidentiality, Accounting and Reasonable care and skill.
Make the offer. You have found a property you love, now it is time to make an offer. Your Realtor will help you decide on a price and terms that suit your budget and the value of the property. Part of an offer to purchase, is earnest money. You need to be able to write a check for earnest money at the time of writing the offer. Usually 1% of the sales price is adequate. This money is held by your agent until you have a final contract and then must be put in an escrow account within 48 hours. It will come off the price of the house and lets the seller know you are a serious buyer. The offer is written up on a contract and your Realtor submits it to the seller.
Getting a final contract. A final contract is the original offer after negotiations. The terms and price may be changed as needed for both buyer and seller to agree. All changes require the initials of both buyer and seller. This document will be signed by all parties and sealed by a Realtor showing date and time of final contract.
Inspecting the property. Your final contract allows for a 10 business day inspection period from the final contract date. Your Realtor will help you order inspections and be sure you stay within your time frame. Typical inspections include a termite inspection, a heating/air inspection and a general home inspection. After you inspect the property, you can decide if you want to continue and purchase the home or terminate your contract.
Obtaining your loan. Your lender will need documents from you supporting your income and other various documents. The lender will order a real estate appraisal for the property, order title work and get all the loan documents ready for a closing.
The last step is the closing. In South Carolina a closing takes place with a real estate attorney. The attorney has all the loan documents and any other relevant documents that need to be signed. The buyer and seller attend the closing with their real estate agents. The buyer signs documents giving him ownership of the property. The seller signs away his ownership. Keys are exchanged, any monies due are given to the closing attorney in the form of a cashiers check.
Enjoy. You are now a home owner. Sit back and enjoy. Always make your payments on time and begin building equity in your new home. This is the start of a lifetime of wealth and happiness!
Victorian Home For Sale in Elmwood Park
2301 Lincoln Street Columbia, SC 29201
- 3100 Sq Ft
- 3 Large Bedrooms
- Downstairs large office
- Family Room
- Historic Register
- Large Corner Lot
- Wrap Around Porch
- High Ceilings
- Equisite Details
- Off Street Parking
- Private Garden
Call or email Tonya Graves (803) 238-8612 TonyaDGraves@gmail.com for a private showing
8 Reasons to consider a new construction home in Columbia, SC
Bethany Way of Capital City Realty is a new home specialist and shares why buyers should consider new construction in their home search:
- New homes are energy efficient. You save money on monthly utilities, making buying and maintaining a home even more affordable.
- New home builders are happy to work with you and your buyer’s agent.
- Your new home will be covered under a home warranty, including a structural warranty. Many other components of the home will have additional warranties (HVAC, appliances, etc).
- Many builders will pay buyer closing costs as an incentive, giving you more funds for a down payment or to spend on furniture for your new digs.
- Builders almost always have finished or nearly completed homes for buyers with shorter time constraints.
- For buyers with more time flexibility, you can also select your own floor plan and lot and build from start to finish, customizing your new home to your preferred finishes and colors.
- Fewer repairs are needed and no updating is required. A new home minimizes out of pocket costs for buyers, making it especially appealing for a first time buyer.
- Some builders may offer other incentives such as free upgrades or a job-based incentive for teachers, military, or law enforcement.
If you have questions about building or new home construction, contact Bethany Way at 803-873-4096 and email@example.com. Columbia has many home builders and new home communities in all areas of town. Let Bethany help you select the community and builder that is right for you.
Carolina Classic Home and Garden Show in Columbia, SC
One can expect to have a great time and learn new things related to home and garden. There are more than 200 different exhibitors offering great products and ideas. The exhibitors offer home improvement, outdoor products and the latest in construction ideas.
The Home and Garden show will offer multiple seminars to educate visitors on many subjects. Visitors can attend the free seminars and learn about home construction, home improvements, remodeling, high tech homes and of course all things lawn and garden.
Today there is a wine walk so head on over to the SC Fairgrounds, get a glass of wine and enjoy viewing all the wonderful home and garden exhibits. The wine walk is Friday 5-8 and cost is $30 which includes your ticket price for the Home and Garden show. A variety of different wines will be available for sample.
If you have any doubt about attending, don't hesitate. The Home and Garden show will be giving away more than $15,000 in prizes. Every year this shows exceeds my expectations and fills visitors with inspiration for both their home and garden. See you there!
Carolina Classic Home and Garden Show 2013:
When: February 8 - 10, 2013
- Friday 11am - 8pm
- Saturday 9am - 7pm
- Sunday 11am - 6pm
SC Home and Garden Tickets:
- $6 per person at the gate
- Kids Free Daily
- Over 62 years free Friday only
Home and Garden 2013 Location:
- SC State Fairgrounds (interactive map below)
Wildewood Custom Home For Sale
- 3 Bedrooms
- 2 1/2 Bathrooms
- 2800 + sq ft
- Open Concept
- Chef's Kitchen
- Heart Pine Floors
- 12 foot ceilings
- Surround sound
- Ranch Style
- Side Entry Garage
- Large Rear Deck
- Private Back Yard
For more information or to schedule a private showing please contact:
Why Use a Capital City Realty Buyer’s Agent?
In the world of information and technology buyers can easily find all the real estate data they need or want with a few keystrokes in Google. So why use a buyer’s agent?
Buyer agency protects a buyer’s best interest and is a free service. Many buyers do not know that the name on the “For Sale” sign is a listing agent with a fiduciary duty to try and get the highest price possible for the listed property.
The following are traits our buyer agents offer that buyers want!
- Honesty: We provide all relevant facts about the property and share our experience and expertise on ways to handle any issues and/or solutions to the problems.
- Clear direction: We explain every step of the buying process. We also share different scenarios and possible outcomes to keep you prepared.
- Choices: We explain every option and what it means to your situation to allow for the most educated choices possible.
- Exceptional service: We know our area and we get to know our clients. By knowing about the different areas of Columbia we assist buyers with educated decisions. After getting to know a client and his/her needs we can point them in the right direction via home styles, amenities and neighborhoods. We stay objective!
- Professional input: We provide clear, honest and experienced based recommendations and/or advice. The bottom line is we seek to assist our buyer exclusively.
- Sympathetic: We listen and learn without judgment. Our goal is to learn what your needs and wants are and ensure those needs are met.
Are you considering buying real estate in South Carolina?
Contact our team for exclusive buyer agency representation.
Tonya D Graves (803) 238-8612 Email: info@TonyaGraves.com
Columbia SC Homes For Sale
The Columbia market so far in 2013 is hot, hot, hot. Our boutique real estate firm is keeping up with the big guys. We are currently ranked in the top 5% of all companies in our Columbia market. The Capital City Real Estate team is closing deals and enjoying working with many buyers from around the globe.
Whether looking for an estate on Lake Murray or a downtown Columbia home in Shandon or Heathwood, Capital City Realty ensures you have access to all the latest available real estate data. Below you will see a break down of all homes for sale in Columbia SC real estate market by price. Have you been pre-approved for a Columbia SC home loan? If not, email IngridCLee@gmail.com and get your approval today.
|200-400k||400 - 600k||600 - 800k||800 - 1 Million||1 Million +|
3214 Devine Street Rice Music House
3214 Devine Street, the Rice Music House building in Columbia, SC is gone but not forgotten.
On December 21, 2012 the wrecking crew demolished the building.
The property had been for sale or lease before demolishion.
Today the lot is cleared and ready for the next chapter.
Local Points of Interest
- Rice Music House has been a landmark in Columbia. With a rich history of accomplishments the business relocated to the Villages of Sandhills.
- Rice Music House is SC’s oldest piano retailer pianos. Their first location opened in 1924 in Spartanburg. The Columbia branch opened in 1935, the same year they were awarded the Steinway & Sons franchise.
- 1924 first Rice Music House opened in Spartanburg
- 1935 in August a Columbia branch opened
- 1935 awarded STEINWAY & SONS franchise
- 2004 Rice Music House sold to SuMohan Acquisitions a SC Corporation
- 2012 3214 Devine Street Building demolished
Are you interested in buying real estate in Columbia SC?